Thursday, March 03, 2005

Aesthetic Realism Explains Art & Life: The Aesthetics of...

Welcome to my blog! The philosophy Aesthetic Realism, founded by Eli Siegel, which I've studied for three decades, teaches that aesthetics is not a "flossy" idea, discussed only by artists and academics, but rather the very basis of every aspect of life. "The world, art, and self explain each other," stated Mr. Siegel: "each is the aesthetic oneness of opposites." I propose, on this blog, to give instances of what I have seen, and also writing on this subject by friends and colleagues, about how aesthetics, the seeing of the oneness of opposites, can help us understand various aspects of life--from education (I am an English teacher), to marriage, to cooking, to driving, and more and more. I begin with a subject that interests many people deeply: religion. Click here to go to the blog of Rev. Wayne Plumstead, Methodist minister and Aesthetic Realism consultant. I respect very much what he has seen on this important subject.